Who is Chino Moreno?
Chino Moreno is an American musician and songwriter, best known as the lead vocalist and lyricist for the bands Deftones and Team Sleep. He is renowned for his expressive and dynamic vocal styles, often incorporating screaming, whispering and melodic singing into his performances.
|Camillo Wong Moreno
|He is known for his dramatic tenor voice and distinctive screams
Birthday and Zodiac
|Age (As of 2023)
|49 year old
|Date of Birth
|June 20, 1973
|Sacramento, California, United States
|C.K. McClatchy High School
|Five ft. 9 in (1.75 m)
|90 kg (198.4 m)
|Estimated Net worth
Family and Relationship
|Risa Mora-Moreno (m. 2012)
He is a highly influential American Musician, Singer, and Songwriter known for his distinctive and dynamic vocal range. He is best known as the frontman of the alternative metal band Deftones and performs in several other musical projects. He has been praised for his innovative musical style and ability to push traditional rock music’s boundaries. Here is a detailed biography timeline of his life and career:
- June 20, 1973: He was born in Sacramento, California, United States.
- 1988: Forms the band Deftones with friends in Sacramento, California.
- 1995: Deftones released their debut album “Adrenaline” and received critical acclaim for their alternative metal and grunge blend.
- 1997: The band releases their second album, “Around the Fur,” which features the hit singles “My Own Summer (Shove It)” and “Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away).”
- 2000: Deftones released their third album, “White Pony,” widely regarded as a landmark album of the nu-metal genre.
- 2003: Forms the side project Team Sleep and releases a self-titled album with the band.
- 2006: Deftones released their fifth album, “Saturday Night Wrist.”
- 2010: Moreno forms the side project Crosses (stylized as †††) with Shaun Lopez and Chuck Doom. The band released their debut self-titled EP in August of that year.
- 2012: Deftones released their seventh album, “Koi No Yokan,” which was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock Album.
- 2014: Crosses release their self-titled debut album.
- 2016: Forms the side project Saudade with members of Bad Brains, Cro-Mags, and others. The band released their self-titled debut EP.
- 2016: Deftones release their eighth album, “Gore.”
- 2019: Deftones announce their ninth album, “Ohms,” which will be released later that year.
- 2020: Collaborates with producer Tyler Bates on the soundtrack for the DC Comics film “The Batman.”
Throughout his career, He has been known for his dynamic and emotional performances and his willingness to experiment with different genres and musical styles. He has significantly influenced the alternative metal and nu-metal genres and continues to push the boundaries of rock music to this day.
Early Life and Education
He was born “Camillo Wong Moreno” on June 20, 1973, in Sacramento, California, USA. He was raised in a Mexican-American family and grew up in the Oak Park neighbourhood of Sacramento. His father was a Native American, and his mother was a Mexican-American. Chino has two elder half-siblings from his mother’s previous marriage.
He attended C.K. McClatchy High School in Sacramento but dropped out in his sophomore year to focus on his music career. After attending a Black Flag concert at age 15, he was inspired to start a band. Chino said he spent much of his youth skateboarding and listening to punk rock and heavy metal music. Despite dropping out of high school, Continued his education by reading extensively on philosophy, science and art. He has mentioned in interviews that he is self-taught in many areas, including playing the guitar and writing music.
Personal Life, Relationships and Friends
He is a private person and has kept his personal life out of the public eye for the most part. However, it is known that he has been married to Risa Mora since 2012, and the couple has three children together.
Before marrying Risa, He was in a long-term relationship with Celeste Schroeder, the mother of his eldest child. He has also been linked to other women, including actress and model Ruby Rose and musician Mary Timony.
In terms of friends and family, He has remained close with his Deftones bandmates over the years, and they have been known to support each other both on and off stage. He has also collaborated with various artists in the music industry and has developed friendships with musicians such as Maynard James Keenan of Tool and Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park.
Height, Weight, Tattoos, Hair colour
He is 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing approximately 90 kilograms. There is no public information available about his body measurements. He is known for his numerous tattoos, including his arms, chest, and back. His tattoos feature abstract designs, skulls, and other macabre imagery.
He has a fair complexion and brown eyes, and his hair colour has varied from black to brown to blonde. He has often styled his hair in various ways, from long and unkempt to short and spiked.
His net worth is estimated at around $7 million, primarily earned through his successful music career with Deftones and other musical collaborations. The American lyricist is known to be a car fanatic, often spotted driving or owning numerous high-end vehicles, including a Lamborghini Huracan, a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, and a Porsche 911 GT3.
At the same time, He is also a homeowner, revered for owning several properties over the years. In 2019, he sold his Hollywood Hills home for $3.125 million and owned a home in Oregon purchased at $1.7 million in 2013. He has invested in various businesses over the years, but the specifics of those investments are private.
He formed the alternative metal band Deftones in 1988, and they released their first album, “Adrenaline,” in 1995. Deftones have since become one of the most influential bands in the alternative metal genre, known for their unique sound that blends heavy guitars, ethereal melodies, and distinctive vocals.
In addition to his work with Deftones, He has been involved in several side projects, including Team Sleep and Crosses, and has collaborated with other musicians on various projects over the year.
Apple Music and Deezer
As the lead vocalist and lyricist of Deftones, he has released multiple albums with the band, including “Adrenaline,” “White Pony,” and “Diamond Eyes,” all of which are available on both platforms. Additionally, He has been involved in several side projects, such as Team Sleep and Crosses, which have also released music on Apple Music and Deezer.
Fans of His music can listen to his distinct vocals, the unique sound of Deftones, and his more experimental and electronic work with his side projects on both platforms.
- His stage name, “Chino”, meant “Chinese” in Spanish and was given to him by his friends due to his Asian features.
- He is renowned for his dynamic stage presence and is described as one of rock music most intense and captivating leads.
- In addition to his music, He is an avid surfer and has credited the sport with helping him find balance in his life.
- He is also a visual artist who designed album artwork and merchandise for Deftones and other bands.
- He is a vegetarian and has been for over two decades.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chino Moreno is an American singer-songwriter and musician best known as the lead vocalist for the bands Deftones and Crosses.
He was born on June 20, 1973, in Sacramento, California, United States.
He has been a part of several bands throughout his career, including Deftones, Crosses, Team Sleep, and Palms.
His net worth is around $25 million.
He is known for his distinctive vocal style, which includes a mix of singing, screaming, and spoken-word passages.
He is primarily a vocalist but plays guitar, keyboards, and percussion.
Some of His most popular songs include “Change (In the House of Flies)”, “Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)”, “Digital Bath” with Deftones, and “The Epilogue” and “The Years” with Crosses.
He won several awards, including a Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance with Deftones 2001.
He has several side projects, including Crosses and Team Sleep.
He has said that he often writes lyrics and melodies first and then creates music to match them.
He has cited bands such as The Cure, Depeche Mode, and Faith No More as significant influences on his music.
He has collaborated with several other artists, including DJ Shadow, Team Sleep, and System of a Down.
He has said that his favourite Deftones album is their self-titled album from 2003.
He advises aspiring musicians to stay true to their unique style and not try to copy others. He also emphasizes the importance of hard work and dedication in pursuing a music career.
He has said that his favourite thing about performing live is his energy and connection with the audience.