Who is James Gandolfini?
James Gandolfini is an Italian actor best known for his character as Tony Soprano, the Italian-American Mafia crime boss in the TV drama series The Sopranos. Universally considered one of the best TV shows ever, James got massive recognition in the drama series alongside renowned cast members Michael Imperioli, Lorraine Bracco and Tony Sirico.
|Full Name||James Gandolfini|
|Popular For||He is best known for his role as Tony Soprano, the Italian-American Mafia crime boss in HBO’s television series The Sopranos.|
Birthday and Zodiac
|Age||51 year old|
|Date of Birth||September 18, 1961|
|Died||June 19, 2013, Rome, Italy|
|Birth Place||Westwood, New Jersey, United States|
|School||Park Ridge High School|
|Height||6 feet 1 inches (1.86 m)|
|Weight||300 lb. (136 kg)|
|Estimated Net worth||$70 Million|
Family and Relationship
|Father||James Gandolfini, Sr.|
|Spouse||Deborah Lin (m. 2008–2013), Marcy Wudarski (m. 1999–2002)|
|Children||Michael Gandolfini, Liliana Gandolfini|
James Gandolfini Biography Timeline
James Gandolfini was an American actor best known for portraying Tony Soprano in the critically acclaimed HBO series “The Sopranos.” Born in Westwood, New Jersey, on September 18, 1961, Gandolfini had a diverse film, television, and theatre career. He was recognized with numerous awards, including three Emmy Awards, for his performances throughout his career. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 51 on June 19, 2013, leaving behind a legacy as one of the greatest actors of his generation.
- September 18, 1961: James Joseph Gandolfini Jr. was born to Italian-American parents in Westwood, New Jersey. He grew up in Park Ridge, New Jersey, with his mother, father, and two sisters.
- 1979: Graduates from Park Ridge High School.
- 1983: Graduated from Rutgers University, where he studied communications and worked as a bouncer.
- 1986: Makes his acting debut in an Off-Broadway production of “A Streetcar Named Desire.”
- 1992: Appears in his first feature film, “Shock! Shock! Shock!”
- 1993: Lands a recurring role on the TV show “Law & Order.”
- 1995: Plays a hitman in the crime film “Get Shorty,” his breakout role.
- 1999: Stars as Tony Soprano in the HBO series “The Sopranos,” which earns him widespread critical acclaim and three Emmy Awards.
- 2001: Wins a Golden Globe Award for his role in “The Sopranos.”
- 2004: Appears in the critically acclaimed film “The Manchurian Candidate.”
- 2007: Stars in the romantic comedy “Romance & Cigarettes.”
- 2009: Plays the lead in the crime thriller “The Taking of Pelham 123.”
- 2010: Returns to HBO to star in the TV movie “Cinema Verite,” for which he received an Emmy nomination.
- 2012: Stars in the comedy-drama film “Not Fade Away.”
- June 19, 2013: James Gandolfini passes away in Rome, Italy, at the age of 51, from a heart attack while on vacation with his family.
Early Life, Age & Academic Qualification
Born on September 18, 1961, James Gandolfini was the son of Italian immigrants. He was born and raised alongside his elder sister, Johanna Antonacci, to his parents, James Gandolfini Sr and Santa Gandolfini. Coming to his educational journey, the Italian actor graduated with a degree in communications from Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
After graduation, he worked as a bouncer, manager and bartender at nightclubs in New York City. It was during this moment that he was persuaded by a friend to attend acting lessons. Through his Throughs vigour, James joined an acting class at the esteemed Actors Studio while supporting himself as a deliveryman.
Professional Career & Achievements: James Gandolfini
Gandolfini pre-rolled on ‘Broadway’ as a primary debut in 1992 during the production of ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ starring Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange. It was also the year when he was seen in particular minor roles in big pictures. The following year, James got recognized and received the cast of the woman-beating mob enforcer Virgil in True Romance by Quentin Tarantino. Following his intimidating and furious portrayal of tough guys on the set, the Italian actor joined as dangerous personnel in several movies such as Crimson Tide (1995), Terminal Velocity (1994) and Got Shorty in 1995.
Despite his rising recognition in these movies, James Gandolfini caught his big break in his role of a lifetime on The Sopranos, which debuted in 1999. As Tony Soprano, James won three Emmy Awards for his subtle and complex performance as the outstanding lead actor in a dramatic series for his role.
James Gandolfini’s Personal Life, Relationships, Wife & Children
James Gandolfini married twice throughout his lifetime. He married Marcy Wudarski, his first wife, in March 1999. During this, The couple was gifted with a son, Michael Gandolfini. Michael is an American actor who made his debut in Ocean’s 8.
He is famously acclaimed for his portrayal of Tony Soprano, initially played by James, in The Many Saints of Newark (2021). Likewise, the couple met up to divorce in December 2002. After the separation, James continued dating for two years with the former model and actress Deborah Lin. The marriage ceremony was gracefully hosted in her hometown in Honolulu, Hawaii. They had their first child, a daughter named Liliana.
Where did James Gandolfini die?
The renowned Italian actor died unpredictably at 51 years in Rome on June 19, 2013. He was reported to have a pending award at the Taormina Film Fest a couple of days before the incident. After a day well spent in Rome with his family, James was discovered unconscious at around 10 p.m. on his bathroom floor at the Boscolo Exedra Hotel. His son, Michael, was the first to report the event to the reception.
Despite the collaboration of medical technicians, Gandolfini arrived at the hospital at 10:40 p.m. only to be pronounced dead twenty minutes later. The autopsy report confirmed that James Gandolfini died of a heart attack.
Net Worth of Tony Soprano
Based on several sources on the internet, we confirm that Tony Soprano had a net worth of $70 million during his death. However, we need to determine whether his fortune has increased or decreased.
- James Gandolfini was an Italian-American actor known widely for portraying Tony Soprano in the TV series The Sopranos.
- The actor, unfortunately, died of a heart attack in 2013.
- He was married to former model and actress Deborah Lin.
- Gandolfini attended and completed graduation from Park Ridge High School in New Jersey.
- The Italian actor was born on a Sunday.
Frequently Asked Questions
James Gandolfini was born on September 18, 1961.
James Gandolfini died on June 19, 2013.
James Gandolfini died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rome, Italy.
James Gandolfini is best known for portraying Tony Soprano on the HBO series “The Sopranos.”
James Gandolfini also starred in several movies, including “True Romance,” “Get Shorty,” “The Mexican,” “The Last Castle,” and “Zero Dark Thirty.” He also appeared in TV shows like “The Office” and “Entourage.”
Yes, James Gandolfini won several awards for his portrayal of Tony Soprano, including three Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.
James Gandolfini’s net worth was around $70 million at his death.
Yes, James Gandolfini was married twice. He was first married to Marcy Wudarski from 1999 to 2002 and later married Deborah Lin in 2008. They remained married until he died in 2013.
Yes, James Gandolfini had one son named Michael with his first wife, Marcy Wudarski, and a daughter named Liliana with his second wife, Deborah Lin.
James Gandolfini was known to be a private person but was also described as generous and kind by those who knew him. He was involved in several charitable causes and supported organizations that helped children and veterans.
Yes, James Gandolfini was an avid New York Giants football team fan and interested in music and guitar playing.
James Gandolfini’s first acting role was in a 1987 movie called “Shock! Shock! Shock!”.
James Gandolfini was born and raised in Westwood, New Jersey, USA.
James Gandolfini graduated from Park Ridge High School in Park Ridge, New Jersey, and later attended Rutgers University, where he studied communications.
James Gandolfini was 51 years old when he died.